Activation is a simple process where you submit your domain information to the Certificate Authority.
Follow the steps below to start the activation process:
- Log in to your SSLs.com account.
- Click on the top black bar with your email:
- Click on the 'New' button next to the purchased cert and choose ‘Activate’:
Activation of PositiveSSL, EssentialSSL, PositiveSSL Wildcard, EssentialSSL Wildcard
Step 1. Issue for
- Enter the domain or subdomain you wish to secure. Click ‘Onwards’ to proceed:
Step 2. Make key
- You can download the key generated for the domain in your browser or submit a manually generated CSR.
Note: Both 'use browser to create files' and ' and 'create it on your server' options support IDNs with the following TLDs. Prefer pasting the IDN instead of typing to ensure further process goes smoothly.
To use the CSR generated in your browser:
- Click on the ‘key’ button to save your private key generated for the entered domain.
- Click ‘Almost there’ to proceed.
To use the CSR generated manually:
- Click ‘create it on your server’.
- Paste the generated CSR code to the ‘Paste CSR (command output)’ field. You may use one of the pre-generated commands that fit your server software (OpenSSL or Windows) to generate the CSR. Hover over the command and copy to use it on your server.
- Click ‘Onwards’.
Step 3. Review & Submit
- Verify that the domain is correct.
- Choose the convenient DCV method (upload validation file or receive an email).
- Verify that the email for the certificate delivery is correct.
- Click ‘Submit’.
For other certificate types, please follow these steps:
- Enter the CSR code and click ‘Read my CSR’.
CSR and web server’s type information can be provided by the web hosting company your domain is hosted with. CSR must have at least 2048-bit key.
If you receive an error message regarding the CSR code parsing or Invalid CSR code, please check a related article.
- Choose the web server type you use: either ‘Windows or Java Tomcat server’ or ‘Any other server (ex. Apache)’ from two given options and click on ‘Looks good, onward’.
- Check the domains (SANs) that will be secured by SSL and click ‘Onward’ (otherwise, re-generate the CSR according to prompt messages and start the process again).
- Choose the preferred way of validation: ‘Upload a file’ (if you are not able to use any of the emails for validation) or ‘Receive an email’ (choose email address from the list) and click ‘Got it,onward’.
‘Upload a file’ DCV method is not available for OV/EV certificates.
- Confirm/specify administrative details and click ‘Onward’.
The details which should be entered are:
- First/Last name;
- SSL Admin contact;
- Phone number;
- Fax number;
- Zip code;
- Company name;
- Job Title.
OV and EV certificates will have separate fields for the company details and/or information for callback verification.
The activation steps are done.
Now you need to complete Domain Control Validation process to have the certificate issued.
OV and EV certificates will require additional company verification process.
After the validation is completed, the certificate will be issued and sent to the administrative email address. If you do not receive the certificate, you can download the certificate from your account.