There are a few steps required to generate a CSR in cPanel. Following them you will successfully arrive at the SSL activation step.
- First, log in to your cPanel account.
- In the Security section click on ‘SSL/TLS Manager
- You will see the following options:
Step 1. Generate a Private Key
- Go to the Generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys link in the Private Keys (KEY) menu.
- Click on the Generate button under the Generate a New Private Key option.
*Important* The Key Size should not go below 2048 bits - we recommend using this length.
- The server will generate a Private Key for you. It will be provided in encoded and decoded formats.
*Note* For installing the certificate on multiple servers, the encoded Private Key is required.
Great! The Key is now saved to the Private Keys storage in SSL/TLS Manager.
You can click the Return to SSL Manager button now.
Step 2. Generate Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
Now you need to go to Generate, view, or delete SSL certificate signing requests in the ‘Certificate Signing Requests (CSR)’ menu.
Make sure you select the Key that was just generated from the drop-down list. If you leave it as ‘Generate a New 2048 bit key’ - there will be a completely new Key generated.
Enter the domain name you wish to secure. Please make sure you use a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).
*Important* If you have a Wildcard certificate, the domain should be specified with an asterisk to secure the subdomains as shown on the image below:
- Fill in all the remaining required fields:
City (type the full name)
State (type the full name)
Country (select 2-character code from the drop-down list)
Company (if there is no such one, just state your domain name)
Company Unit (if you do not have such one, just use NA)
E-mail (enter any of your e-mail addresses - it will not be used for domain control validation or reception of the issued certificate).
Passphrase - we advise to leave it blank, because the pass is stored unencrypted in the CSR
Description - just leave it blank as well.
*Important* Make sure you use alphanumeric characters only.
- Once you have all the fields filled in, you are to click the Generate button.
Congratulations! Your CSR is generated now.
You will need to use the Encoded version.
Copy and paste it into the corresponding box during the SSL activation.